Saturday, July 21, 2012

How OSMW changed my life

A little over 6 months ago, I found the overly sensitive military wives  facebook page.  I was instantly hooked, and laughed at all the dependapotumus stories, and the drama, until I realized, I have MANY characteristics of a dependapotumus.

6 months ago I fit these:
Stay at home mom
Overweight
Lazy
Dirty house
Has a coach purse (I wouldn't have a bought one myself, and although I love the wristlet a friend gave me because of it's functions, I'm not a coach person).
Children from more than one dad
My husband's paycheck is OURS

I'll let you in a little secret, I hate feeling like people are judging me.  I consider others opinions way too highly, and I am working on this, but...it helped me!

Due to my obsessiveness with this page, I started feeling WORSE about myself, felt constantly judged by these OSMW spotters all over the world, and decided to take action. OSMW motivated me to make much needed changes. It was freaking hard.  I was always tired, and had little motivation, so I went to the doctor (I HATE doctors) and was given antidepressants.  I had no idea I was clinically depressed.  But I was, and it's a constant battle.

But thanks to lots of support from my friends (Sarrah and Jessica in particular),  family (my dad and husband...they are two separate people btw), and OSMW for jump starting me to take action, I have changed!  I'm still a stay at home mom, but I am signing up for fall classes this year.  I'm still overweight, but I'm losing weight by eating better, running (I <3 c25k), and ROLLER DERBY (I like hitting bitches)!!! I do activities with my kids, cook more, clean more etc.  My house is still a mess because I have feral children, however it's not due to me sitting on my ass all the time, it's due to me doing fun things with the kids instead of cleaning. I quit smoking and drinking so much soda. My husband's paycheck is HIS.  We still make joint decisions regarding finances but I didn't earn the money, he did.  He has final word.  


I have gotten a little more OSMW in some ways though.  I go out in public in workout clothes now so I can run an errand before going to work out, and I still use my wristlet. 

I don't go on OSMW as much now, because I don't want to feel bad.  Some of the shit on there is really harsh and stupidly judgmental which is a form of being an OSMW also. If you are constantly posting on how shitty other people are, you're probably shittier, and there's lots of OSMW pretending not to be, judging others on the page.  However, some of it is still freaking hilarious and is true!  But I love 6 (and her mom) and Kel.  6 is supposedly the devil, but she's known for busting windows out of hot cars to save animals from overheating. That's fucking awesome.  


Thank you OSMW for jump starting me to change my life.




No comments: