Wednesday, July 25, 2012

If soleRebels and Tom's were in a boxing match, soleRebels would knock out Tom's with the first punch


I don't believe there is way to help the world and it's inhabitants that supersedes all the others.  I believe it's up to the person who wants to help, it's not a one size fit all answer.






That being said, if you like Tom's, you're going to love soleRebels.  The only reason I can imagine anyone liking Tom's more is because of brand recognition. 




Let's start with some of the soleRebels shoes.  


top row: $75 $60 
bottom row: $75 $65 via soleRebels



These are just a few of the types available...from the summer 2012 collection!  They have a wide variety of colors and styles available, which is much better than the competition.

The shoes are made out of recycled tires (the soles), hand spun and hand loomed organic cotton, hemp koba, jutes and leathers (more information here).  The shoes are hand crafted by Africans  in Ethiopia, (paid 4x the minimum wage AND 3x the industry standards), subsequently creating dignified jobs, using local resources, and preserving artisan traditions.
I'm pretty sure I wrote the world's greenest paragraph right there.





These shoes are a bit more expensive that Toms and Bob's, but not much.  I believe and fully support soleRebels cause, and *gasp* my thrifty self doesn't mind spending a little more money for the environment pleasing, economy helping, shoes full of character(check the amazon prices out)  If I bought Tom's, I wouldn't think twice about who made it (coughsomecoughsweatcoughshopcoughincoughchinacough).  These shoes though, I would feel differently about.  They'd stir my imagination, I'd imagine stories about the person who made these shoes, how they felt, where they live, etc.  I would feel honored wearing shoes that someone put so much work and effort into, and would be excited to talk about soleRebels anytime someone commented on my spirited shoes.  These are not your everyday shoes folks.

soleRebels has blown my mind. The founder and ceo, Bethlehem Tilahun Alemu (blog here) was born and raised in Addis Ababa and created the company in 2005.  Half a decade later, and hundreds of jobs later, soleRebels became the world's first and only World Fair Trade Federation footwear company AND the first footwear brand to emerge from a developing nation.  soleRebels partnered with Amazon and several other online markets and became the first (and only to date) Ethiopian company to use multiple major credit cards and paypal online. Her "goal is to see soleRebels become as ubiquitous as Apple".  Can you imagine what would happen if a recycling, green, job providing, no factory having company became as well known and sought after as Apple???


Although I have not personally met Bethlehem, we have emailed and she provided my tiny little brand new blog with plenty of information.  You know how sometimes you can just tell what type of person someone is through their words?  The aura she gives off breath taking.  She IS changing the world in a positive light and I believe she will do whatever she could to make the world a better place.  Keep an eye on this one, I bet we'll be hearing a lot more about her in the future. She also informed me that


 "giving people hi quality, sustained employment in a growing, successful enterprise - thats  always the way to "help" people . actually i have never looked at it as "helping people" .[ to me that's a tired bit of PR  , too often abused] . i looked at it as maximizing the talents that were here inside the community i grew up in , then  leveraging those talents into a sustainable, world class company creating SUPER COMFORTABLE, XTRA COOL FOOTWEAR. THAT is the best way to BUILD people + communities - leverage the strengths, make or invent something amazing, create independence through prosperous employment, scale the whole thing and make  a lot of happiness everywhere!!!"


I don't know if I've ever related to a stranger so much.  In a paragraph she summed up how I feel, and what I want to do (minus footwear). 


soleRebels website
facebook


Buy some shoes. 




Can't afford a pair, or don't like the style?  I've got another great idea for you coming up soon.



No comments: