Monday, August 27, 2012

I'll take you by the hand. And I'll show you a world that you can understand.

Pul? Nip? DNiped?  Pocket? AIO? One Size?  Fitted?  CD?  EUC? Sherpa? GUC? BG? GM?  PP? PPD? Unicorns?!

Chances are if you know what any of these mean, you're a member of the exclusive cloth diapering community.  Although there are no requirements for being a member of this community (that I'm aware of) I wouldn't have considered myself a member for a long time.  I cloth diapered, and that was it.  I didn't go on forums to talk about diapers, I didn't shop for diapers a lot, I didn't have much advice to offer people.  All that changed when a friend introduced me The Okinawa Diaper Swap Group on Facebook.  My husband hates her for it. ;-)

These are what started it all by BrookiEllen



Although I fell into cloth diapering nearly a year ago, my experience was not the norm.  I didn't research my options, I found cute diapers I wanted and figured out what I needed to go along with those.  My stash consisted mostly of bumgenius, a couple cute diapers, and I was satisfied for a long time, even though BumGenius diapers are not exactly the cutest.  They worked well though for awhile though.  Due to my negligence in diaper knowledge, I'm currently on my 3rd stash (I started with velcro, moved onto snap pockets, and am now on fitteds and AIOs).

BumGenius aka BG's


Unfortunately though, "one size" is a lie.  My son has a 22 inch waist and is quickly growing out of the "one size" pocket diapers I have used nearly exclusively, so it was time for me to take a trip into a different type of diapers....and I quickly fell for good mamas after decided to purchase a couple used and trying them out.  Although these are one size diapers also, they still fit him!

My husband refers to Goodmamas as the Oakleys of the diapering world (I haven't told him about the more expensive brands.  When I first heard about GM's, I won't lie I thought it was ridiculous.  $35ish for a fitted diaper that you need to use a cover for?!  They were cute, but if you needed a cover it's not like you would see them....right? And then I tried them...and got hooked.  This style of fitteds (diapers to be used with a cover) are the most absorbent diaper I have ever tried...and they are extremely cute.  There is a huge variety of designs available to fit any child's personality.  They have great resale value also.  Prices tend to range from $5 (needs repairs) to $ 400+ (priced paid for auctions with proceeds going to charity).

Unicornic                                  Sk8 4vr  

Goodmama Land, is a land like no other, although it's an off shoot of cloth diapering world, it's a special place, with their own language (and funny names) and full of skulls, glitter, rainbows, and unicorns (hey I love all those things!).  But what makes this land so special, is the members of it.  Goodmama land is the closest to Eutopia I've ever seen.  Occasionally there's drama, but 90% of the time, the mamas (sorry dads) of Goodmama land are the most helpful, nicest women I've ever met.

Suzanne Atwood invented Goodmama in 2005 after she began cloth diapering and was frustrated with what was available.  Most GM employees are work at home moms.  GM's are made with US milled organic bamboo and constructed by workers in the US.  Suzanne Atwood chose to keep the construction of GM's in the US which is what causes them to cost more (but it's better for our economy and US workers).  GM is also a supporter of Miracle Diapers, a charity that provides cloth diapers to low-income families.  I think that makes the prices worth it.

When I asked Suzanne Atwood about good-mama land, she said:


"It grew up all by itself, around the diapers. I didn't create it, but I am honored to live there. It's a privilege to send diapers out all over the world and see them on babies in photos, and hear about all the happy healthy bottoms because of the work we do.

I'm also passionate about keeping US manufacturing alive, one small business at a time, and while I have been pushed countless times to go overseas with our product, I have doggedly refused and keep everything in the United States where I pay US workers fair wages for the work they do to create the product. Most of our employees are moms themselves, and many, after they have proven their abilities in house, are allowed to take work home and earn more hours by making diapers at home too.

I'm proud of the work we do, and proud of the way most of the goodmamas behave and treat others. From what I have seen, they look after each other, welcome newbies with open arms, and only get the pitchforks out for the dishonest, the greedy or the scammers."

There's also a designers group where you can can find a fabric, and get a goodmama, wipes, blankets, or wet bags designed out of it.  


While purchasing goodmamas on Oki, I met several new ladies, all whom are amazingly helpful and sweet.One of the ladies helps me price my diapers, and fixes my snaps as we do it without a second thought.    She loaned me some diapers she's never used to try with my son.  I purchased a diaper in my goodmama fever that I wasn't in love with, and although I was willing and ready to pay, the momma came by, picked it up, laughed at me and said she understood.  All of the ladies have been crazy patient with my dumbassicity when it came to goodmamas, gave me tips, hints and awesome deals!  On the goodmama facebook pages the women have the same type of attitude and it amazes me.  I didn't know people like this existed and to find a community of them?! I feel like I hit the jackpot.

You can get a ton of information on different types (pockets, AIO, AI2, fitteds, prefolds, covers etc) and brands (too many to list) all over the web.  If you're in Okinawa The Okinawa Diaper Swap Group on Facebook is a great resource to find out information and buy/swap diapers.  




No comments: