Sunday, August 5, 2012

Okinawa Foodies

This post is completely self serving.  I just want you to make me food.


I'll admit it, we're a dining out family.  We dine out at least twice a month and there doesn't need to be a special occasion (unless empty cupboards and lack of motivation to cook constitutes one).  I've heard from several people (including my husband) that as a kid, he didn't dine out very often and it shocks me.  I was very lucky that my grandparents didn't mind taking a little brat (me) around Michigan testing out various restaurants.  I look back on my dining experiences as a child,  and I look back on that fondly as one of the best parts of my childhood.  I want to share that fun with my family now (even though my children do not understand this is fun and exciting).

Moving to Okinawa really put a damper on this.  There's so many restaurants (with Japanese menus), however I don't know if they're kid friendly, take card or cash, what they serve, where they are, what time they open.  Okinawa Hai is a great place to start when it comes to information, however it can be dated and confusing.  And then I found the OkinawaFoodies.

Foodies was started by a group of ladies (4) whose husband's wouldn't go off base to dine, so they started going together. The group has grown to 322 members and evolved to much more than just meeting up for lunch.

You can see up to date reviews of restaurants, pictures, directions and ask questions!  These women (myself including) love food.  The page isn't only about restaurants, you can ask anything regarding food! They still do get together for lunch at local restaurants.

The best part of the page is the dessert chains.  I'm currently participating in my first one but I love this idea, and can't wait to do more! It's exactly as it sounds.  Someone makes you dessert, you make someone else dessert and so on and so forth.I love the "adventure" of it.  I know how lame that makes me sound, but I tend to stick to a few favorites in the kitchen and that's it and it's rare for me to cook for strangers.

I dream of dinner, lunch, breakfast and snack trains (I'm only semi-kidding).    If you would like to participate in fun activities or just learn more food here in Okinawa, like the page!

If you aren't here in Oki, remember it just took one person, one Facebook page to start a dessert chain. ;-)

No comments: